Entertainment / Culture / Leisure
With the introduction of 20 life-sized animatronic dinosaurs for the Dinosaurs Alive exhibit, the Calgary Zoo needed to communicate it could give its visitors a unique experience that would almost be like travelling back in time.
Any potential visitors to the Calgary Zoo.
Strategy and Media Used:
The advertising campaign was conceived on the concept that these dinosaurs are ‘more real, more scary’ than ever. The integrated campaign was released in February 2010 and included out-of-home, stunts, television, radio and print.
- Despite unfavourable weather for the winter and summer seasons, the campaign encouraged both Calgarians and outside visitors to make a trip to the Calgary Zoo. The zoo attendance was up 6,523 overall from February to October 2010, compared with the same period the previous year.
- Zoo admission ticket sales through hotels during the exhibit time increased by 26%.
- According to Calgary Zoo’s research, 43% of visitors surveyed came specifically to see Dinosaurs Alive!
- Website visitation increased by 19% over the same period the previous year (February to October) and the Dinosaurs Alive! microsite was the second-top landing page behind the zoo website’s home page.
- In the year following the start of the exhibit in February 2010, annual pass sales were up by $350,000, and repeat visitation of pass holders increased by 18%.